Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My journey to LAX

Well, I was excited to get the first plane flight of my life, but the excitement didn't last much when I realized that I was late to get to LAX.

This is the chronicle:

I woke up at 5 am, because I needed to check if the money I was waiting for was already available at the ATM. With the coincidence that my sister wakes up at that hour to move her car, for another car to go out of the garage. She offered that I drive there instead of taking the bus and come back. So I gladly accepted, it was fast, and the money was there.

Til then, everything was ok, but then everything changed, but in little amounts of time, I have to set clear that there's no other person responsible about what happened than me.

My sister offered herself to give me a ride to the border, which I also accepted, because it'd save me a lot of time, unfortunately, I forgot that ladies don't go out anywhere looking like they just woke up. So she took a bath, I can credit her that she did it fast enough. But then she wanted to pass for her friend because she didn't know how to get to the border.

But guess what! the guy had to take a shower also, and we have to wait for him around 20 mins, it was early enough anyway, but her friend proposed that I should not go without having a breakfast, and then I started hesitating about my time. Unfortunately I make some calculations and I ended thinking that I had enough time to get to the LAX on time.

All this was taking away all the time ahead I had, so slowly, that I didn't realize when it was 9 AM already, even so I thought it was enough time to get to my destination.

Crossed the border, bought the bus ticket to LA, and it went out at 9 30, the lady on the counter said that the bus would take 3 hours to get there, so that would be 12 30 right? Maths don't fail!

Well, they did. It was the traffic hour on the freeway number 5 and it delayed the bus enough to get me desperate, so I thought on a plan B, to get off the bus on Santa Ana station, which also is a train station, to get the metrolink and get to Union Station ( the place where the buses going to LAX depart ) in no time.

So I told the driver that I wanted my luggage because I was staying in Santa Ana, the guy asked me: "are you sure?" I said "yes" and I went to the ticket screen to check what time the next metrolink would depart. It said that the next one would depart 3 hours from that time. I thought: "Damn!" So I checked the Amtrak schedule, which is a little more expensive but it passes more frequently, but the next one was going to leave at 12 30 arriving to Union Station at 1:30. So from plan B, I had to go back to plan A, and I went back to the bus, that fortunately for me, stays 10 mins on every station, so, I did all of the above in less than 10 mins.

I asked the driver if I could go back in, he said that it was ok, he asked what happened, I explained to him that I wanted to reach to the airport the fastest possible, he told me that he could leave me 5 blocks away from Union Station, that he would let me know where.

The problem was that the freeway 5 traffic was heavy, it slowed us too much, as agreed, the driver told me: "this is it, take that street, 5 blocks to the right, and you'll see Union Station"

It was nearly 1 PM when this happened, I arrived to Union Station around 1:15, and the next bus to the airport was leaving at 1:30, my plane was going to take off at 1:50.

So, no chance to get there on time. I got the the airport check-in around 2:10.

With all the shame in the world I showed my printed receipt to the lady in charge and she said that they won't have any planes until 10:30 which is the one I'm waiting for here at the LAX.

I'll let you know some other things I saw here, if other situation, this would've been fun specially with salvia extracts.

No comments:

Post a Comment